Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bulacan OFW family pleads to DFA

MALOLOS CITY—The family of a Bulakenyo hotel worker in Canada who died in a car crash on Sunday reiterated their call to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) for the repatriation of the victim’s body.

“Please help us,” was the only words that Jeanelle Mangonon was able to utter to journalists in an interview yesterday.

A resident of Brgy. Bambang, Bocaue town, Mangonon directed her pleading to the DFA.

Mangonon’s husband Joey, 35, is one of the four overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who were killed in a car crash in Canada on late Sunday night, Monday afternoon in Manila.

Identities of the three other fatalities remain unknown, along with another Filipina who was listed in a critical but stable condition after she was rushed to Alberta Hospital after the accident.

This developed, CBC News website in Edmonton reported yesterday that 29-year old Tyler James Stevens “is charged with four counts each of impaired driving causing death, failing to provide a breath sample and criminal negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle causing death, plus one count each of impaired driving causing bodily harm and criminal negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm.”

Stevens is the driver of the Range Rover that smashed head on against the Dodge Journey that carried the OFWs.

Citing interviews with witnesses, the CBC News said that Stevens was driving southbound, but was on the wrong lane.

CBC News reported that Lisa Mason said she was driving home when she encountered the sports utility vehicle (SUV) approaching on the wrong side of the highway near Bowden, Alberta.

"He's coming straight at us and just at the last minute, I swerved and he swerved away from us," the CBC News said quoting Mason.

The incident occurred along the Queen Elizabeth Highway II near Innisfail, about 120 kilometers north of Calgary.

The incident killed Mangono and three other companions, while injuring another, a Filipino who was rushed to Alberta Hospital was and was listed in critical but stable condition.